Town Council Election
THE TOWN OF ELLENDALE IS SOLICITING CANDIDATES
FOR JANUARY 4, 2020, MUNICIPAL ELECTION.
OFFICES UP FOR ELECTION ARE AS FOLLOWS:
THERE ARE THREE SEATS FOR COUNCIL PERSONS UP FOR ELECTION
CANDIDATE ELIGIBILITY AND DECLARATION OF CANDIDACY
Residents who have completed the following are eligible to run for office.
- A citizen of the United States and qualified elector in the Town of Ellendale
for at least six (6) months prior to January 4, 2020.
- At least twenty one (21) years of age on or before the Annual Municipal Election and who
shall be a bona fide resident, of the Town of Ellendale, for a period of six (6) months immediately preceding the date of such Annual Municipal Election.
- The Candidate cannot have been convicted of a crime or misdemeanor, other than those related to traffic offenses.
- Each of the qualifications for the Town Council shall be continuing qualifications to hold office and the failure of any Town Council Member to have any of the qualifications required section 3 and 5 (d) of the Town Charter during their term in office shall create a vacancy of that office.
Each person meeting the criteria listed above and who wishes to run for office must complete a Certificate of Intention or a statement of organization establishing a campaign committee with the Commissioner of the Elections no later than seven days after declaring his or her candidacy. Deadline to file is December 13, 2019 at 4:30pm.
- File a Certificate of Intention if the yearly salary for the office is less than $1,000.00 or if the candidate does not intend to receive more than $2,000.00 for campaign expenses.
- File a statement of organization if the yearly salary for the office is more than $1,000.00 or if the candidate does not intend to receive more than $2,000.00 in contributions or expend more than $2,000.00 for campaign expenses. The Statement of Organization must be filed no later than the seven (7) days after making expenditures or receiving contributions on behalf of the candidate or committee.
In event that no person files or is nominated for office for which an election is to be held within the limits for nominations set forth herein, the incumbent shall be deemed to be re-elected for a full term, and it shall not be necessary to have an election for the seat of that particular Councilperson.
Applications may be obtained from Town Hall, Monday-Thursday between 9am-12pm, when the office is open, unless otherwise posted. Applications will be accepted up until December 13, 2019 at 4:30 pm.